Dagny's World

Perhaps there is life beyond Craigslist.

Sunday, May 15

Time to relax

I have just bid farewell to my final guests and as promised, I have pictures.


The spread

My friends and relatives were impressed, as always, by the food spread. A couple asked when I was going to give up the education thing and just start a catering business.



The Fig and Walnut Tapenade has always been a hit. My friend, Yvette, couldn't make it because she had no one to watch her daughter. She called her twin sister, Yvonne, during the festivities to specifically ask if I had made the tapenade. Yvonne told her that I had known that Yvette would make the request. Ten minutes earlier I had told Yvonne that she would have to take some home to Yvette because I remembered how much she had loved it before.




The Chicken Empanadas are another hit in Yvonne's family. Her other sister Monique couldn't make it because she is already dilated one centimeter. I said there was no need for Monique to attend. I mean, do I really want her water breaking in my apartment? Monique had already instructed Yvonne to inquire about the empanadas before Yvonne arrived. Yvonne said, "She may be starting labor but all she can think about is food." I had already set some aside for Monique. They aren't the prettiest ones I've made, but they're still tasty. (The empanadas were the last item I made and so I rushed in rolling out the dough. Oh, and Gloria, the dough is made from flour, cream cheese, and butter.)




Of course there was the requisite sangria to wash it all down. I am finishing the last of it as I write this. Well, I would if I could find my cup. That was one of my main problems today. I could never remember where I had left my cup.




I had told people that there was no need to bring anything, but we all know I really didn't mean it. Here's the loot I collected. Not pictured is the check that my dad gave me. It will buy my chairs at Ikea and then some. The tray (the box in the front) is from my stepmother. I was really surprised. She had already given me a check which enabled me to buy my lovely kitchen table from Ikea. Oh, and my dad is the one who gave me the lovely 6-pack of wine. In total I received seven bottles of wine and a bottle of Chivas. My friends say I have the start of another party.




This final image is from my hallway. Everyone was fascinated with it. I guess it's left from the old intercom system in the building.

I said it's time to relax, but let's get real. I still need to deal with the mess that is supposed to be the bedroom. I refuse to take more pictures of it until I have it decorated. At least now there is a path through the room.

7 Comments:

  • At 7:43 AM, Blogger Gloria said…

    I would like some empanadas, please, because I am too lazy to make them myself. I wonder if the mexican place near the gym has them. I should check this out.

     
  • At 8:45 AM, Blogger Dagny said…

    You head up to the Bay area and I'll make them. I fill them with a mixture of chicken, olives, raisins, and pine nuts. I'll think of you as I eat the three leftover ones.

     
  • At 12:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ha...that is cruel. They do look great.

    About the intercom, I had exactly the same thing in my apartment when I was in school. The building was about 90 years old; I think the intercom was nearly that old too. Think of it as a free antique.

     
  • At 6:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You and Gloria with your food pictures! Torture, torture, I tell you! I am going to have to go out to eat somewhere fabulous and photograph it all in return.

    And I love the flowers and everything all set out -- so fetching!

     
  • At 10:09 PM, Blogger Dagny said…

    I'm glad to see that I can be just as torturous as Gloria. There have been way too many times that I have checked out her blog when I was famished.

    Jen, I have always thought that it is not enough to make tasty food. The other part is about presentation. The tulips were courtesy of Trader Joe's -- $2.99 a bunch.

     
  • At 1:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    As it's been said, even the best meal served in the worst kitchen will still taste like crap. Presentation is important.

     
  • At 10:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Dagny, I am cruising the blogs looking for any information on Increase Cash Flow and landed here. Although this post is interesting and got my attention, I will add this knowledge to my storehouse of information. I never know where Increase Cash Flow will take me. Have a great day!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home