Dagny's World

Perhaps there is life beyond Craigslist.

Monday, May 23

On a quest for literacy

So this weekend I went to see Crash. We arrived in the area of the theater early, so we browsed through a bookstore. It's been some time since I've bought a book -- at least three months. I just can't stomach paying the outrageous prices they charge now for hardcovers though. Then I remembered that part of the appeal of my apartment is that it is within walking distance of the public library. Add to this the fact that the sun has decided to make an extended appearance this week and the fact that I got off work at 6:00. Well, it was just an outing in the making.

I ran into my apartment as quickly as possible so that I could change into something more casual (and cooler). I remembered to grab a tote bag on my way out the door to carry my finds home in. As I strolled along, I was greatly tempted to join the other fine residents of the People's Republic who were enjoying a cold one. Then I remembered I was on a mission. Not more than a block later I was tempted to stop to go shopping. Then I remembered my empty wallet and decided to continue on my way.

I finally reached the library only to discover that most of the books I wanted had already been checked out. I didn't leave empty-handed though; I got three. Even more important I got the first library card I've had in about ten years.

On my way back home, I remembered to stop in the Indian restaurant that's about three blocks away. I desperately needed a takeout menu because they deliver. (Yes, I realize they are only three blocks away and I could easily walk there. I've gotten my exercise for the week though. I did take the stairs in the library up to the fourth floor and back down.) Across the street is a taqueria. I was tempted to stop there too. Finally as I neared home, I saw a sign up at the French bistro around the corner from me. They now have cafe service in the morning. Guess what they're serving? That's right -- pain au chocolat. One day I'm just going to head out and eat my way through the neighborhood.

6 Comments:

  • At 8:35 PM, Blogger Gloria said…

    Goddammit. It's like the whole world is taunting me with being able to get better pains au chocolat than I ever will in this godforsaken city.

     
  • At 9:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Gloria, when you are in LA, you will be able to go to Elysée in Westwood every day, and you will have all of us beat. And then you may reciprocate the taunting to your heart's content.

     
  • At 4:38 AM, Blogger Dagny said…

    Sorry, Gloria. I had to do it. I instantly thought of you as I stopped to read the sign.

    I had thought of including Gregoire but it wasn't on my route yesterday. I pass this restaurant on my way to the grocery store. Oh, and of course Chez Panisse is right across the street from the grocery store. The real reason I need a trust fund is so that I can eat my way through the neighborhood and gain 100 pounds or so.

     
  • At 6:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Even though I love LA and will have to check out this Elysee, I miss SF for its amazing restaurant selection. It's so much a better city in some ways for the foodies.

     
  • At 7:55 PM, Blogger Gloria said…

    But SF has a crappy nightlife compared to LA!

     
  • At 8:00 PM, Blogger Dagny said…

    Nightlife in SF is pretty good. We just don't like to let the visitors in on it. Why just ask my mother. When I lived in her house, I was often greeted with these words on Saturday afternoon, "I heard you when you came in last night, or should I say this morning."

    Until about three years ago, I was out five nights a week. On :non-school nights" (that would be Friday and Saturday), the earliest I ever got home was around 5 am.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home