Dagny's World

Perhaps there is life beyond Craigslist.

Wednesday, February 23

Continuing Tale of the Cousin

So now the latest on my 20 year old cousin is that she plans to bring her new beau to our family reunion this summer. I personally think that she has lost her mind. I would only subject a man to my family if I was serious enough about him to contemplate marriage. Our family is mostly male. They therefore like to dream that the women -- well, at least those related by blood -- are chaste and pure. My cousin's older brother has stated on numerous occasions that he does not believe that she should date until she is 35. Insane, right? Our uncles are not much better.

I remember when I was around 13 and my dad's friends pointed out that I was becoming quite the "looker." My dad's response was that he might just have to invest in a shotgun so that he could greet perspective beaux. Ah, the joys of having Southerners as parents. (My dear mother believed that potential dates had to first be "interviewed." This interrogation was to take place days before the possible date so that my parents could determine if I would be even allowed to go on the date.)

My cousin has a similar mother to mine. Well, her mother is actually worse. Her mother told me recently that she does not think that her daughter should date until finishing college. Once more, what kind of insanity is that?

When I think of my family, I keep wondering what century this is.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:34 PM, Blogger Gloria said…

    Haha. My parents thought very much along the same lines, and they're not from the south. Gosh, I didn't even let fuckhead meet them until he insisted and insisted, and that was after a year of dating.

     
  • At 5:56 PM, Blogger Dagny said…

    There has been much uproar in the family regarding my cousin's invitation to the boy. The line I hear most frequently is, "It's just not appropriate. She hasn't been dating him long enough."

     

Post a Comment

<< Home