Dagny's World

Perhaps there is life beyond Craigslist.

Tuesday, February 22

Today's Perplexing Question

I usually have at least one question that vexes me each day. Sometimes I ignore it. This time I decided to do some research.

I have spent too much time reading Jane Austen novels, I suppose. As a result, I have always kind of wondered what a guinea was. How much was it worth? I really feel that there should be footnotes for these kinds of things. How did this question arise once more, you ask? Today I was flipping through Schott's Food and Drink Miscellany when I came upon the page listing wages for servants in times past. It stated that most servants were paid in guineas. Those who weren't had the amounts listed as Pounds Sterling. Once more, there was loads of text but no explanation in this text of what a guinea was. It seems to me that Ben Schott could have been kind enough to include this information, but noooo...

For those of you who have pondered this question as I have, here is the answer finally. What is a guinea?

Now I can sleep peacefully tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home