Dagny's World

Perhaps there is life beyond Craigslist.

Wednesday, February 2

Oscar Predictions

I am mildly obsessed with movies. OK. That might be an understatement. Each year a group of friends and I try to come up with our own Oscar predictions. I will probably revise my list as the various Guild awards are announced. (You have to check out the general buzz and the Guild awards as well as the Golden Globes to get an accurate feel for the possible recipients.)

The DGA award went to Clint Eastwood for Million Dollar Baby, so he is clearly the front-runner in the Director category. It's kind of shame because that means that once more Martin Scorcese will be denied.

The SAG awards are this weekend. The buzz seems to be for Jamie Foxx for Ray, Hilary Swank for Million Dollar Baby, and Cate Blanchett for The Aviator. Usually by this time of the year, I have seen most of the nominees. I have been a slacker and not seen as many movies as usual so I think I'll be sitting this out to see the SAG results.

I do feel a little comfortable in thinking that Alan Alda will receive the Best Supporting Actor award. He's older and has never received an Oscar before. Of course, maybe Morgan Freeman will sneak up on him.

I'll be updating my predictions over the coming weeks and will of course have locked in my selections before the awards on 27 February. Stay tuned...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home