Dagny's World

Perhaps there is life beyond Craigslist.

Thursday, February 17

Young Love

So I was driving home from work one evening about a couple of weeks ago (at a respectable hour for once) and decided to call my 20 year old cousin. What a mistake that was. For the first fifteen minutes of the conversation, my contribution was "uh huh," "oh really," and "how nice."

My cousin lives in the heart of the Bible belt. That alone could make her naive. Add onto that the fact that she attended a Christian school for high school. Even worse? She in now in college and her mother thinks that she should not date until she finishes college. I see loads of therapy in her future. Thank goodness she's a psychology major.

Back to our conversation though. She thinks that her boy is totally sweet and nice. I think he's a player. He had her meet him at his house and then took her to the spot where he likes to go to write poetry. (He's dropped out of college because he believes that God has given him a gift and that college is not necessary. Of course this poetry is apparently the kind that you can find at Hallmark.) When they reach the spot, there is blanket and I believe a small picnic already set up. He then chooses this moment to kiss her for the first time. I was so close to throwing up, it wasn't funny. I was driving at the time and decided that throwing up could seriously impair my driving ability. She really needs to get out more so that she can see just how oily this guy really is.

I started writing this post before I acquired the instant boyfriend. Maybe I was just being a bitter old hag. Nah, I don't think so.

2 Comments:

  • At 6:42 PM, Blogger Gloria said…

    Ew. I'm ready to puke too, and to smack some sense into her.

    I feel like my sister is that naive too, and I hope she isn't..

     
  • At 5:39 PM, Blogger Dagny said…

    I am so glad that I am not the only one who wanted to puke. Now she has just announced that she plans to bring him along to our family reunion this summer. I asked her if she had possibly lost her mind as her brother does not think that she should date until she is at least 35.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home