Dagny's World

Perhaps there is life beyond Craigslist.

Sunday, February 6

An evening out

Last night I headed out with two really good friends to celebrate the birthday of one of them. (How depressing to realize that we will be 40 next year.) We don't get out as much as we used to because they are both married and have children.

Per usual, my one friend (actually since we have known each other since I was seven, she is my oldest friend) stated, "We should do this at least once a month." Every time we all get together every six months or so, she says this. Why don't we get together more often? Because they have husbands and kids. She had wanted to see comedy this weekend but there was no one in town that we really wanted to see. She had asked me earlier in the week to check for later dates. I discovered that D. L. Hughley will be in town at the end of the month at Cobb's Comedy. What's the problem with this outing? It's the same weekend as her husband's birthday.

Back to last night. We had thought of going to Zuni Cafe, but instead went to Absinthe. The cocktails were fab. The appetizers were fab. The meals were fab. (I had the cassoulet.) I haven't had this satisfying a culinary experience in some time.

We then headed around the corner to Citizen Cake for dessert. When we arrived, we found out that there would be a 45 minute wait for a table. That was ok though because the hostess offered to get us drinks and we were able to browse the display cases. My one complaint is that it seems like they should have a daily menu as you are allowed to order items in the case but many are not on the menu. After seeing so many, it was difficult to remember them all by the time we were finally seated. Fortunately we were able to describe one of the creations adequately enough that the server brought the correct one. We also liked that they had coat check. The other fun was the people watching as the symphony (or was it the opera or the ballet?) let out. (My confusion on which is because all are in the area.) My friends accused me of selecting the seat facing the window so that I could watch the men who were alone walk past. It is not my fault that so many of them were good-looking.

We finally poured ourselves out of the restaurant and into the minivan. I spent more than I should have, but it was well worth it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home